navbar

04 May 2016

Nerves

Happy Wednesday, everyone!
And May the Fourth be with you, to my fellow nerds.

This week I finished the 2 commissioned portraits. I will not post them yet since they have not been delivered and/or approved by the client.  Right now I'm having a confidence issue, which is common right before I show a finished piece to a client.  My policy is that I always give the client the option of either accepting or rejecting the piece - if they accept it, they pay the balance and I give them the work.  If they reject it, I keep the piece and they owe me nothing further.

So right now is when the doubts start creeping into my mind.  I'm always afraid that THIS TIME will be the time the client hates the finish piece and refuses to take it.  It's a recurring nightmare. Most of the time I channel this fear into motivation to do my best work.  Other times I just lose a lot of sleep.  Sometimes both.

I deliver the pieces on Friday, so I will follow up with some photos and I'll let you know what the final decision from the client was.
Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Your work is gorgeous. You should not take commissions that give approval or rejection. That is unfair to you, the artist. It kills your creative energy and joy. When I was a graphic designer, I would do a logo for a business, they would hate it and not pay and then use my sketches. Some have been using my designs they rejected for 15 years still. As an artist, when you take a commission, they pay the whole freight- it is not like tailored clothing. Otherwise, consider just making what you want and then sell it.
    Your work is over the top terrific, don't do this to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Thank you for the encouragement and feedback. In some ways, yes it's an extra stressor for me to offer the 'right of refusal' to my clients. However, it does serve a purpose for me as an artist too. It is an added incentive to put myself into my client's shoes - how they saved up to purchase this piece of artwork, what the emotional investment is with a portrait of their loved one, etc. It keeps me grounded as I make creative choices, and does not allow me to rest on the assurance that I'm guaranteed a paycheck. It gets me to dig deep instead of taking short cuts or "phoning it in" when I really REALLY want to just get it done and over with! This might not work for everyone, but for some reason I do my best work under pressure. Even if half that pressure is coming from inside myself! :-)

      Delete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!