navbar

27 April 2016

Update, new work

(Albert, 24"H x 40"W)
 
So here's where I'm at.  The Tattooed Dog, otherwise known as Albert.  Our most recent Viewpoints 9 challenge was called "Pick a Color, Any Color".  We were challenged to create a composition using only ONE hue from the color wheel, along with as much black, white and gray as we liked.

I chose yellow-orange as my one color. I like the way the warm organic-looking batik background brings out Albert's brown eyes and compliments his black and white printed coat. 
 
At the moment, Albert remains un-quilted. Normally I would not post an unfinished piece on Viewpoints 9 gallery day... especially since I am the one who wrote the current challenge.  HOWEVER.  Too many times, lately, I have rushed to get something done and ended up with "mmmeh" results. This time I am taking the time to do the job right, even though it means missing a deadline.
 
So, the current status of Tattooed Dog is limbo. I feel like it still needs more work before I bring it to the quilting stage.  The shapes on his back and body are still too large, the patterns too recognizable.  Right now the patterned fabrics (while interesting and cool) are getting too much attention. I want the piece to have more tension between the patterned fabrics and the realism of a portrait. I need to add more variety and smaller pieces to create a more believable sense of light and shadow on the dog.
 
But that will have to wait.  Right now (or actually, starting tomorrow) I gotta pivot back to the 2 commissioned portraits I have due in early May.  Those are my laser focus for the next week to 10 days.  After that, I'll finish Albert and get everything in place for my 2 day visit to First Dutchess Quilters.
 
After that I will be caught up. I think. Hopefully.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!