navbar

09 February 2015

New work

Just finished the latest dog portrait "Brad 2.0"  

Bradford_2.0

This pup presented a challenge since he's almost completely white, except for a bit of brown on the ears and his leg. His face is bright white, and Shi Tzu faces are pretty flat. So the trick was finding a way to show the structure of his face without very much contrast. 

Photo Feb 09, 2 01 22 PM

I exaggerated (slightly) the shadows in order to create depth and to show the texture of his fur.  I also used a technique that I call "under-painting".  I layer different colored fabrics under a piece of white fabric, to create a subtle tint or shadowy color within the white. Other slight color variations were added with the stitching, using gray, yellow, tan and peach colored threads.

Photo Feb 07, 4 12 13 PM 
(image: white fabric, under-painted with gray or yellow fabrics)

Now that Brad 2.0 is ready for delivery, I can move on to finish my "Play Time" challenge for Viewpoints 9.  Stay tuned for photos, the Viewpoints gallery opens February 27.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. You've done such a beautiful job on all these little dogs. I usually do people but might give it it a try as I feel bad when my cousin asked me at one time (after her little dog died) if I could make her one and I did not think I could manage the fur . I would love to do it for her. I think the thread painting makes all the difference .I don't usually do much of that either. Well it will either look ok or not. Thank you for posting these little dogs as they/you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sylvia! Good luck and have fun experimenting with thread painting or any other techniques you like. You'll never know what you're capable of until you try! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!