navbar

24 June 2014

New Work: Aubrey and Jacob

Why the long pause between posts?  I've been working on 2 commissioned portraits for a private buyer in California.  They were purchased as a gift for the kids' mom, so I didn't want to post any photos before now (didn't want to spoil the surprise!)

So here they are, Aubrey and Jacob.

Aubrey

-

Jacob

Each one is 12" x 12" finished, sewn onto black canvas which was then stretched over 14" x 14" wooden stretcher bars.  A wire is attached to the back for easy hanging.

I love getting a commission when I'm free to "play" with color and composition!  For these adorable munchkins, I chose colors to reflect their bright, energetic personalities (as described by the client). And since the pieces are small, I thought the bold colors would add visual impact, but it needed a palette that would work for a boy and a girl. I went with some playful color combinations, hopefully not too cutesy-cutesy.

My frequent partner-in-creativity, Carol R Eaton, created hand dyed color packs intended for my Magnolia workshop. But I had other plans for some of them! I rummaged through several packs to find just the right colors and shades for these portraits.  Guess I'll have to find other uses for the leftovers! LOL

Here are a couple detail photos:

Aubrey – I loved working on her hair, with those wispy lines and cool braid.  Fun!

Aubrey_detail

Jacob – Just wanted to pinch those cheeks.  LOL

Jacob_detail

10 comments:

  1. Great portraits - love the quilting and the colour. Thanks for all the inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Portraits are a challenge, but I had a lot of fun with these! ~Kate

      Delete
  2. Wow! Just when I think you can't top the last design you blow me away with a new one! Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous! I'm sure the client will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are wonderful. What treasures for you client

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola mi nombre es Estrella y vivo en Sevilla (España) Es la primera vez que visito su blog y me ha encantado todos sus trabajos . Es maravilloso como capta las expresiones de las caras y parece que son fotos. He disfrutado mucho de todos sus trabajos a mi me gustaría empezar con algún proyecto pequeño de este tipo de diseños. Yo soy muy autodidacta y aprendo mucho viendo trabajo de las personas. Gracias por todo lo que ha expuesto en su blog, Estoy muy agradecida saludos voy a usar el traductor de google para que pueda entender un poco todo lo que he escrito

    Hello my name is Star and I live in Seville (Spain) is the first time I visit your blog and have loved all his works. It is wonderful and captures the expressions of the faces and appear to be photos. I have really enjoyed all my jobs I would start with a small project of this type of design. I am a self-taught and I learn a lot watching people work. Thanks for everything you have stated in your blog, I am very grateful greetings will use the google translator so you can understand a little of everything I've written

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Estrella! Thank you for the nice compliments. Good luck with your art projects and have a wonderful summer! :-)
      Hola Estrella! Gracias por los buenos elogios que. Buena suerte con sus proyectos de arte y tener un verano maravilloso!

      Delete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!