navbar

27 April 2014

New Work: Looking Back

My latest portrait was created as part of the Viewpoints9 challenge "Memories of the Movies and September."

For as long as I can remember, September has meant the beginning of school.  This month, my son and I have been on the road visiting colleges. Hours of driving, talking and sharing music have allowed me to get to know the amazing person he is today.

This piece is a an exploration of nostalgia and how it prevents us from seeing the truth about the past as well as the present.

Photo Apr 19, 6 38 48 PM

Title: Looking Back
T
echnical details: hand dyed cotton fabric, cut and layered, raw edge applique, machine quilted using free motion stitching.
Finished size: 18" H x 27" W

1 comment:

  1. This piece captivated me at the International Quilt Festival in Houston. Perhaps because the boy looks so much like my own 3 year old, but also because the colors and the life in the eyes drew me in. This quilt caused me to immediately walk over to the exhibit hall and purchase a large quantity of hand dyed fabrics to try and produce something in this vein on my own. Who knows if it will ever come to fruition, but thanks for the inspiration. Your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!