navbar

03 February 2014

Ready for Magnolia Workshop!

IMG_2992Magnolias, episode 4.

This time I'm using my favorite tree/flower in a brand new 2-part workshop.  Twelve artists from Sisters in Cloth have bravely signed up for my first ever "customizable kit" workshop.

On the first day, we will be creating just the quilt top.  Then a week later, we'll bring our tops back for a workshop on free-motion machine quilting.

How can a kit be customizable

Each kit will have a slightly varied color palette since we'll be using hand dyed fabrics by Carol R Eaton.  I've also created patterns for 9 different flowers.  The students can choose which ones and how many to make, and arrange them any way they like.  I'm hoping the result will be a wide variety of compositions, reflecting each student's style.

The example shown here is from a large kit, which includes 1/2 yard of ice dyed fabric for the background (flowers, leaves and branches are not quilted yet).  The Sisters and I will be working with the smaller kit, which includes a fat quarter of background fabric instead of 1/2 yard.

I have not included workshop details on my website YET.  Before I start really promoting this class, I want to hear from my first batch of students.  I may need to adjust the fabric amounts, refine the instructions or tweak the timing, based on their feedback. 

Thanks for being the guinea pigs on this first one, Sisters!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a workshop! So everyone gets instruction, yet creates something unique to them. I love the background fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Martha. I chose a kit with warm peach tones for the flowers. But there will be other color options, like yellow, cool pink and lavender. The backgrounds are multi-colored ice dyes, so each one is unique. I can't wait to see what the students create! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!