navbar

13 November 2013

New Work: "Tattooed Boy" is Done!

Still working on a title for this piece, but here it is. My little darling is all stitched.

(For more back-story on this piece, read my previous post http://katethemel.blogspot.com/2013/09/work-in-progress-leaving-mark.html)

TattooBoy_finishedMy original plan for the background quilting was to write a bunch of personal messages with free motion stitching.

Like some kind of desperate last-ditch effort to tell him everything he needs to know before he becomes an adult.

But I decided that would just create more "noise" around him, and I already have the idea covered with the BLAH BLAH BLAHs.  Instead, I decided to just include one text message, right around his ear, like a whisper. 

I figured out there's only one message I want him to get from me, even if he remembers NOTHING else I've said in 17 years. And that is

Themel_TattooDetail"I will always love you".

6 comments:

  1. Kate - it came out fantastic! What a unique design... obviously you're the cool mom! I can't wait to see it in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol! And thanks for making this awesome custom fabric. Who knew "BLAH" could be so fabulous? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Kate. You brought a few tears to my eyes with your quote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching your kids grow up and become adults is a challenge. I still look at my kids and wonder where the "little" ones went. Your quilt is such a loving gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update: The new title is "Leaving a Mark". I'm happy to say this piece will make it's debut at the 70th Annual CT Artists Exhibition at the Slater Museum Feb 9 - March 21, 2014. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!