navbar

26 June 2013

New VP9 Challenge: Preconceptions

The Challenge: "Have you ever had a situation about which you formed an opinion that was later disproved? … What was it like? How did it feel? I invite you to consider one of your past preconceptions and depict your experience in an art quilt."

This challenge stumped me.  Even though I had a couple scenarios and memories to draw from, I could not imagine a way to put them into a visual design.  So instead, I decided to use the process of making this quilt to challenge my own perceptions.

I'm a planner.  Especially in the studio.  I never cut fabric or start sewing until I have a vision of what the completed piece will look like. (or at least what I hope it will look like).

This month's challenge, for me: create a quilt in such a way that I'd have NO IDEA what it would look like when finished. The result would a surprise to me, and maybe the viewer too.

So how did I end up with this?  Read more about my thought process and see more artists' responses to the eighth Viewpoints 9 creative challenge: http://viewpoints9.blogspot.com/

2013June 018


1 comment:

  1. What a great way to handle the challenge! I love your piece!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!