navbar

13 May 2013

Work in Progress: Magnolias III

MagnoliasIII_wipWhen I got back from the SAQA Conference in Santa Fe, I was delighted to see our Magnolia tree in full bloom.  I had to take a few photos of it, since I knew that in a matter of days, the beautiful white and pink flowers would turn brown and litter the front lawn.

This is my 3rd homage to the Magnolia, a short-lived celebration of spring.  When it’s finished, Magnolias III will travel to the Texas Quilt Museum in La Grange, TX.  It will be exhibited along with Copper Lily and Sunflower in the “America the Beautiful” exhibition.

The flowers were created with cut pieces of hand dyed and plain white fabric, shading was added using silk paint, and now I’ve started adding more detail with free motion stitching (detail photo below). 

Next up on the design board: a commissioned piece featuring Dogwood flowers which will be about 38”W x 20”H.  Along with Magnolias III (17”W x 36”H), these two compositions will count as “Major work #3”, due May 30.

I will post photos of the finished pieces in the next few weeks.

1 comment:

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!