navbar

27 January 2013

New Work: Hartford Provides Inspiration for CT Local Color

Done and submitted!  I went a little beyond my self-imposed deadline of January 20, but my latest major piece is complete.  “Science Center” as I have so creatively named it, is one of 3 entries I’ve submitted to SAQA-CT’s Regional Exhibition “Local Color”.

Themel_CTSciCtrSM(Science Center, 33h x 39w)

If you live in Connecticut you’ll probably recognize the unique architecture of the CT Science Center in Hartford, which was the inspiration for this piece. 

Themel_CTSciCtrDetailI used colorful, geometric batik fabrics to represent science, medicine and technology, and to convey the fun our family has had playing (and learning) at the Science Center.

I used acrylic tulle to approximate glass for the center part of the building (see detail, left).

This is a bit of a departure for me.  There are no solid color fabrics in this piece, other than the black binding.  I’m a LITTLE obsessed with patterns and batiks as of late.   And with the exception of window pane lines, I didn’t use the quilt stitches to add realistic details like reflections or texture.  Most of the stitches are done in coordinating thread so it blends into the fabric.  I wanted the patterns of the batik to show through and shine on their own.

Attention SAQA Members in Connecticut: Don’t forget to enter your work into Local Color.  Entry/Registration is open until February 15, 2013
http://saqacallforentries7.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!