navbar

11 October 2012

Progress on NYC

NYC_wip

Now that I’m finished with the Boston Harbor paintings (photos coming soon), I’m spending my studio hours on the NYC piece.  Here it is as of 3pm today.

Whoa, that giant piece is due November 10th?  Yeah okay don’t panic!  I’m talking to myself here.  There’s still four whole weeks left.  Plenty of time, right?  Still, I’m starting to worry if I bit off more than I can chew with this schedule.  BUT we’ll never know until we try.  So… BACK TO WORK! (insert whip-cracking sound here)

I made quite a bit of progress on the larger blocks of color, and now I’m starting to flesh out some of the buildings and lights.  I decided to start with the buildings that appear farthest away, which is also the brightest area. 

NYCwipDetail

One of the reasons I’m doing this part first is so I can get a sense of where the light source is, then build the rest of the composition around that.  As I go along, it will help me judge where certain highlights and reflections belong.

The other reason I’m doing the brightest part is for personal motivation. What can I say, neon lights just make me happy. I love that unnatural glow!  Seeing the lights start to pop off the surface really puts me into another state of mind, and kind of energizes me to keep working. 

More updates to come.  Stay tuned!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!