navbar

07 September 2012

Goal for this Year


It’s September; back to school for the kids and back to the studio for me!

Time to evaluate my progress as an artist and set some goals for the future.  So here’s my big IDEA:

lightbulbMy goal (between now and August 2013) is to complete 5 major works of fiber art rather than my usual one.  I consider a major work at least 36x36 in size, strong design and exceptional quality –  meaning I would have no hesitation entering it into a highly competitive exhibition like Quilt National or Art Quilt Elements. 

It’s not that important to me that I actually enter or get accepted into any of these shows. This is about holding my artwork to the highest standards of design and also maintaining a good sized collection of available pieces, for sale and/or exhibition.

In order to reach my goal I’ve established regular studio hours and some hard deadlines. I’m the type of person that works better under pressure, even if it is self-imposed. When I have forever, it takes forever. I work more efficiently and get a lot more done when I see a big red square looming on the calendar.

I’ll have to complete a large composition (min. 36x36) about every 8-10 weeks.  And since I’m also signed on for the Viewpoints9 challenge, I’ll also need to finish a smaller (18x24) piece every 9 weeks.

KThemel_NYCnye5Yes, it’s a lot to get done. More than I’ve gotten done in past years for sure.  It will take a lot of discipline and hard work and even then I’m not entirely sure I’ll get there.  Then again, if I KNEW I could do it, it wouldn’t be much of a goal.

So.  First up is “NYE in NYC” – inspired by a photo taken on New Years Eve 2007.  I’m still exploring this idea of darkness and radiance, especially artificial light. This one could be a nice companion to “Morgan’s Flight”, possibly the beginning of a series.

The self-imposed deadline on this one is November 1st, 2012.

Stay tuned for updates Smile

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my...that's quite a demanding schedule you have set. Admirable, indeed! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're inspiring, Kate! I cannot wait to get my studio back when the moving van arrives Monday (yeah!)......then I need to set a goal for myself this year. Can't wait to see your NYE in NYC....great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You will be busy. Your work is inspirational and I love that you desire to do top notch work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure you will achieve your goal and end up with some gorgeous pieces. I look forward to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you go girl!!! can't wait to see your creations!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!