navbar

06 March 2012

VP9 Challenge: Music

The first challenge for Viewpoints 9 is the brainchild of our group’s founder, Martha Wolfe:

Music comes into our lives in so many ways.  We know what we like.  We associate it with certain events (weddings, holidays) or specific people ("our song").  Music has the ability to transport us to other times and places in our lives.  
But in the absence of words or context, what can it conjure?  So, this is my challenge for all of us.  Listen and create....enjoy!
http://viewpoints9.blogspot.com/2012/03/vp9-our-first-challenge.html

The 3 minute music clip is from Vivaldi’s “The Four Seasons - Summer”. I listened to the piece at least 3 or 4 times with my eyes closed & just paid attention to the images that came into my head.

After that I listened again, this time writing words & thoughts that had come to mind. These are a few of the phrases I jotted down:
chase
scarf flying
menace?
running
maybe teasing/fun kind of scary
path, woods
moonlight or sunlight flashing through trees
moving quickly
excitement
face paced

I’m picturing myself running on the bike path near my house.  It’s lined with trees and sometimes you get a kind of staccato flashing effect from the sunlight coming through.  So far I haven’t figured out how I’ll interpret this feeling into a quilt.  Normally I use photos as my guide & inspiration.  But I don’t have very many pictures of myself running.  And the few I have look pretty dorky.  Not really what I’m going for.

Another option would be to make the viewer part of the scene – through the eyes of the runner.  My challenge will be to create an illusion of movement and speed.  How?  I have no idea.  I’ll keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. My words are mostly very different than yours....;^) But it was enough to get me off the dime. I'm ALMOST done which is necessary as I will be away April and not sure of internet access in the Bungle Bungles. Can't wait to see what your words inspire for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really interesting how differently we all interpret the music. I do feel the movement and haste, but at a less physical/more emotional level. Eagerly awaiting your creation!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!