navbar

08 February 2012

Quick Update: “Morgan’s Flight”

On Saturday, January 28th I was thrilled to hand out the two “Guess What This Is” contest awards in person – at the SAQA CT Regional Meeting in Guilford, CT.  Fiber artists Carol Eaton and Mary Lyn Page guessed correctly, that Morgan’s Flight is inspired by the architecture of Bridgeport Center in Bridgeport, CT.

To give you a bit more background on this piece, it was inspired by an aerial view of Bridgeport at night.  The pilot/photographer/Bridgeport native who took the original photo is Morgan Kaolian.

I was awestruck by Kaolian’s photos in his solo exhibition “City Under Lights”.  So I tracked him down through his company AeroPix and sent him an email.  Mr. Kaolian graciously gave me his blessing to use his photography as inspiration for an art quilt.

I love working on this piece; at the same time I’m nervous about doing justice to Kaolian’s beautiful photography.  The title “Morgan’s Flight” is a reference to the piece’s inspiration and an expression of gratitude to the photographer himself.

I still haven’t worked up the nerve to book a ticket on Sky Rides

2 comments:

  1. The quilt is beautiful. Congratulations to the lucky winners.I had no idea where those buildings were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my cards and have already sent some out! Your work is so fabulous it's hard for me to imagine you have doubts... we are our own sharpest critics!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!