navbar

01 September 2011

New Work: “Stars Not Included”

Themel_starsnotincSM

My latest piece “Stars Not Included”, in case you are not familiar with sailing/navigational equipment, is based on a mariner’s sextant.  This tool has been around for centuries, helping sailors find their way across the oceans and back home again.

Although I haven’t sailed in years and even then we didn’t use a sextant, making this piece brought back memories of racing in Long Island Sound.  I can smell the sunscreen and salt water now!

Themel_starsnotincSMdetailThe basic principle of the sextant uses 2 fixed reference points to help the sailor figure out his/her location.  Typically the 2 fixed points are the horizon line (which I can easily find) and a known star or constellation (this is where I am completely useless.   Hence the title).

I love the beautifully complex shape and different metal finishes on this little technological marvel, especially the polished brass scope.  Maybe I like the scope because I actually know what that part does, unlike the rest of the dials, wires and mirrors.  Those are a complete mystery. 

To me, that “unknown” quality makes this object even more intriguing.  Or maybe I’m like a bird, simply mesmerized by anything shiny.

2 comments:

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!