navbar

17 July 2011

Trip to DC for Sacred Threads

Worth the trip!  The Sacred Threads exhibition this year was incredible.  To really appreciate the 170 quilts on display, you had to set aside at least a few hours.  Unlike a typical art exhibition, the artist’s statement was included along with each piece.  Learning the story behind each quilt was enlightening, powerful and at times heartbreaking.

I got to meet the lovely Lisa Ellis, who took over management of the show with Christine Adams after founders Vikki Pignatelli and Wendy Bynner stepped down.  I also talked to Luana Rubin, owner of www.equilter.com (where I buy almost ALL my fabric and thread).  She shared a few of her own quilts and talked about the design & creation of her fabrics.

I was thrilled to participate in this unique show, and plan to enter again in 2013. 

Here are a few photos from my visit:

DSCN3314My sons Graeson and Luka admire their portraits.

DSCN3322Here is my sister Megan next to her portrait, looking much happier in real life.

DSCN3328Luka’s favorite quilt in the show was Arlene Wagner’s piece called “Make Me Smile”.  Guess it worked!  I asked Luka what he liked about it and he said it made him think of playing.

DSCN3340I love this one: “Primary Chairs” by Jeanette Thompson.  To see it in person, you notice that one leg of the chair is broken, and different objects are placed on it to balance it out.  For some reason it just spoke to me.

DSCN3332The “Walking in Love” special exhibit was amazing.  I admired the beautiful, sheer drapery and individual panels made by various artists.  My brother-in-law and husband noticed the awesome hanging system, specially made for this exhibit.  I never would have seen the spiral-shaped copper pipes if they hadn’t pointed them out!

DSCN3334 

You can see more examples of Sacred Threads quilts on their website:

http://www.sacredthreadsquilts.com/html/gallery2011.html

1 comment:

  1. Loved seeing your quilts at sacred threads - it was quite the show. I'm glad I got the CD so I can put the statements and all back with the images I took while there.

    I spent a bit of time after the show thinking about the Walking in Love exhibit trying to come up with ways to make it easier to move and exhibit - loved the copper spiral, but the shipping would make it hard to show in many places and I'd love for many people to see it!

    PS - the choices for identity in posting comments don't really encompass anything I use - I don't post with blogger anymore, and I use self-hosted wordpress. Any other options?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!