navbar

31 March 2011

“Artifact: Telephone” Complete

Themel_phoneSM

The second in the Artifact series, “Telephone” is now quilted and showing a lot more personality.

The numbers are pretty sketchy but they were fun to do.  I always learn something about an object when I draw it, because I have to observe it very closely, breaking it down into shapes then details. 

I guess that’s why I choose maybe mundane items for my subjects so often.  I always think I’ll find something new about them. 

I forgot (or I never knew) that there is no “Q” or “Z” on a phone dial.  (see detail image below).  And the letters start at 2 instead of 1.  Why do I care about this stuff?  I don’t know.  Like I said, I like seeing things I never noticed before. 

Then I started wondering, “Why do they even have letters at all?”  I really can’t figure out what their purpose could be.  If you know, please leave a comment.

Enjoy!

Themel_phoneDetailSM

1 comment:

  1. This came out wonderfully - but that doesn't surprise me! I like the idea behind this series of Artifacts.
    I never really thought about why we have letters before. Our phone number prefixes used to be based on words; for example a # starting with UN1- (Union 1) and CH5- (Cherry 5) and we used to say the word when giving our phone #. AND, I remember in the small town where we used to summer we didn't even have to dial all 7 digits - I still remember our ph# 4-5382
    It appears there is a least a dialing hole for the #1.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!