navbar

14 February 2011

New Work: “Golden”

GoldenSpiralSM You may recognize this, or parts of it, from my previous post.  Yes, I liked the irregular grid pattern and bright colors in “Cabin Fever” but something was missing.  That something was RED.  And maybe a bit of pizzazz. 

I keep an illustration of the golden spiral (a.k.a the golden ratio, golden section) in my studio.  It’s actually quite useful especially for drawing portraits - ears, hands and fingers generally have these proportions.

The golden ratio is the mathematical expression of repetition found in nature.  You see this kind of ratio the segments of nautilus shells, leaves, etc and it is one of the building blocks of fractals.  Pretty cool.  Anyway, this illustration has been in the background for a long time, and I’ve looked at it often.  Why not try it out in a quilt? 

I admit I’m not an expert in machine piecing, or math, or seam allowances.  But I used a PHI calculator to figure out the shapes and it came pretty close to working!  Just at the very end (the smallest part in the center) something didn’t quite calculate.  I don’t think that was supposed to be two squares. 

Luckily I’m creating art and not a spaceship.  So I just added a little swirly-do thing in that last square.  DONE!  :-)

Word to the wise: it would have been much easier to start with the smallest square and build around it, rather than making the largest one first and working smaller, hoping it will fit at the end.  I may do another one in the future, so I’ll take that little lesson with me to the next one.

1 comment:

  1. Just what I was looking for. I thought I'll make a quilt that is a 'cabbage' spiral but couldn't remember what it was called! Yours is beautiful. Now I have to master sewing curves!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!