navbar

21 January 2011

I’ve been invited to exhibit work in Japan!

I’m VERY excited and happy to participate in this show:

Quilt Challenge for Japan 2011VanGogh_12sunflowers

Hiroko Matsuda from The Kagoshima Quilters Association in Kagoshima, Japan has invited 15 quilters from the USA to take part in a challenge for next year’s show.  Artists are asked to draw inspiration from one of Vincent Van Gogh’s many “Sunflower Series” paintings.  (Example, Van Gogh’s “Sunflowers III, Munich” pictured on the right.)

Artists can use the flowers, the colors, the feeling, any fabric and any technique. This is wide open to be interpreted in whatever way the artists choose, as long as the finished quilt is 20” x 20” square.  It should be interesting to see how many different ways Sunflowers are presented!

SewCraft is generously sponsoring the US artists, and will arrange to ship artwork from the USA to Japan this fall. 

The exhibition will be on display in Japan in December 2011.

Stay tuned for more details and photos of my show entry, coming soon…

5 comments:

  1. Kate,
    I just tried to send a message but my internet keeps disconnecting. I will try to write once again. I am in Paris and just saw Van Gogh's paintings in Musee d'Orsee today. And read about Van Gogh over dinner in a book I brought with me on travel. You are so lucky! And, I think your technique will be so wonderful for interpreting Van Gogh. Congratulations! Hope this posts!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that I get to join you in this challenge! I can hardly wait! SO do you think we should try to get to this exhibit too?! I know an interpreter who would love to join is mom in her old stomping grounds. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Judy! I feel lucky to have been chosen. Now I better live up to it. LOL
    Diane, I'm still working on Tom for a trip to Japan. I even scoped out a few flights -- it could work....! I keep reminding him that we could have an interpreter not to mention a long time resident to show us around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huge congratulations, Kate! Well-deserved, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Kate! I just know your contribution will be smashing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!