navbar

06 October 2010

Sneak Peek

I made a lot of progress on “Valbiska-Lopar Ferry Porthole” this week.   Gotta come up with a better title!

Porthole_unquilted (2)As I was studying the photo and trying to sketch it out, I noticed that the circle is not a perfect circle and the composition is not quite symmetrical.  Hmmm, it could work.

I also found there is a lot of slate blue/ steel gray/ washed-out jeans kind of colors in this picture.   At first I almost put the project aside…who wants to see that much dull cloudy gray?  But I found some batiks that were in the right color family and too pretty not to use.  So there you go.

I also realized that the chipped & rusty paint around the porthole is my favorite part… more interesting than the view through it.  And somehow the orange rust makes all that gray/blue acceptable.

So now Stage 1: "broad strokes of color” = complete.   Here’s a partial look at it.

Next up: My favorite part – free motion quilting it, scribbling in more rusty details, adding ripples in the water…  Fun!!

1 comment:

  1. I like your new title! It evokes a narrative. Nice. Diane

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!