navbar

04 October 2010

New Work: “Boatman Sketch”

DSCN2045My entry for "SAQA: Beyond Comfort".   The theme of this show is experimentation.  Artists are asked to create something outside their normal style.  

(I just finished the online entry process. Not bad for me... 6 days before the entry deadline!)

The back-story on this piece: 
Boatman Sketch was inspired by a photo my brother took last year. 

I will be teaching a class on free motion machine quilting, so I had to come up with an 8x10 example to demonstrate each lesson.

One of the lessons is on thread "drawing". I decided to see how far I could push that. What if I drew an entire picture with free hand quilting stitches?  My sewing machine became a substitute for charcoal pencil.  But since I can't press harder/softer on the charcoal to create dark & light lines, I used different shades of thread.

Here is the final piece. It’s on satin brocade fabric, which is shiny and a little hard to photograph.  I chose satin because the original photo has a cool sense of light & I was trying to capture some of that.
I'll include a detail too. Keep in mind the whole thing is only the size of a standard sheet of paper, so these stitches are REALLY small.

It was an interesting experiment but I'm not sure if I will attempt a larger one.  My eyes are bugging now. :-)

BoatmanFinishedDetail

1 comment:

  1. I LIKE it! I think I'll post my submission too...I also posted mine yesterday. Six days early is unheard of for me ;^)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!