navbar

16 September 2010

Weighing Options

KThemel_WeighingOptionsBLOG

So here I am.  Asking myself “Who am I now?” and “What do I want?” not to mention “Is it true that life begins at 40?”

Sometimes there are so many possibilities you can become frozen.  I would call it a classic identity crisis – but crisis is not the right word.  I don’t feel worried or lost, in fact I feel quite peaceful here in my own personal limbo.  Maybe rather than a Crisis, I’ll call it an “Identity Pause Button”?  Not sure where I’m going with this obviously, but I’m enjoying the process. 

Now I’m attempting to interpret this strange time in a quilt for the “Identity” exhibition of fiber art at Windsor Art Center.   

One thing I know is that I am an artist at heart and I want to make it a career.  But how do I translate that into a practical plan?  Earning a living as an artist: should I concentrate on teaching? get an agent to sell my work, try to market myself with a signature style?  Sell how-to books, update my website into a full fledged online store?  See – too many possibilities! 

KThemel_WeighingOptionsDetailBLOGThat’s why my Identity quilt is a bit of a jumble – it has a rough order to it but pieces are overlapping and not quite structured.  Things are kind of floating out there.   The working title is Weighing the Options.   Here’s a sneak peak (photos are work in progress).  In the quilting lines are words and pictures that have meaning to me – they represent my perception of myself now, and who I could be.  I have more to add; will post a final photo when it’s done.  Just trying to sort my thoughts for now.  Hopefully I can get my life’s vision or at least my quilt vision in focus before the entry deadline!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!