navbar

23 February 2010

Ah HA! More frog toes, that’s the ticket

HypnoBLOGI’ve been asking myself why my recent series of frog mini-quilts was not working.  Then I realized that the reason I didn’t like the results is because the process was flawed.  I wasn’t being true to myself, to my own artistic approach.  I had to admit to myself that I was just using them as convenient shapes, filling them in with vibrant colors.  But that’s a lazy shortcut.   After all, why revisit a series if not to make them better?  Something new should be revealed. 

I decided I need to approach these as I would any larger scale composition.  That meant finding something about the subject that I find beautiful and intriguing.  What is that thing here?… 

Then it came to me.  Those freaky little frog toes!  It’s their toes, along with a frog’s big buggy eyes that I love about them.  My first 3 attempts were not highlighting those features at all.  In some cases, their little feet were completely cropped out.  They seemed more like scientific illustrations only with weird colors.  I should have been treating them as intimate portraits, using the quilting stitches to enhance the image rather than just fill in space.  HypnoBLOGdetail

That was why I had trouble naming them before!  They had no personality.  At this revelation, I gained a new energy and purpose.  This little guy is reaching out with a webbed-fingered foot (or hand?) and looking right out from the frame.  When it was finished, I had the feeling he was casting some kind of spell, which led me to the title “Hypnotist”. 

I have nearly completed the next one too (stay tuned for “Empress”).

1 comment:

  1. Kate I just love that orange frog! He has such personality. Can't wait to see where this series takes you.
    cheers, Sue

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!